Hello, friends! Typically this is around the time where I put together a lookbook using the trends predicted for the season. However, since I already had done a similar type of post predicting the trends for the entire year of 2016 already over on My Violet Delights, I was stuck with trying to come up with a creative alternative. Thus, I decided that for the remainder of this year instead of my usual seasonal lookbooks, I will theme them around the Zodiac signs.
Now, whether or not you believe in the validity of astrology, either way I find it intriguing. The way I see it is more along the lines of how I also view the Myers-Briggs test: it’s only a partial “explanation” because it’s all relative and no one thing can ultimately define you. In other words, take it with a grain of salt. However, with that all said I’m basically just going off of generics here and am drawing inspiration from the general Zodiac.
The color palettes and styles of each look are related to the personality traits and predicted colors attached to each of the Signs (I used various Google searches and astrology.com for most of my “research”). Since this was my first go at it, the lookbook didn’t turn out quite as planned and so the first look is coming at you after the first Sign has passed (sorry Capricorns!). Anyway, with some careful planning, I promise Part II will be even better! Alright, now let’s get started.
To start off, here are the essential products I used in the base of every look.
- Kat Von D Lock It Foundation– Foundation mixed with Revlon Colorstay
- Revlon Colorstay Foundation (new? packaging with pump & SPF!)- Foundation mixed with KVD
- Maybelline Master Fix Translucent Loose Powder– Powder for Baking
- Anastasia Contour Kit Light-Medium– Contour (Java & Fawn)
- Covergirl Lash Blast Super Sizer Mascara– Mascara for top and bottom lashes
- Younique Lash Fibers– Coat of fibers on upper lashes for volume (I ran out of the original gel)
- Anastasia Brow Wiz in Dark Brown– Eyebrow pencil
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper– Upper lashline liner
- Colourpop Lippie Primer– Lip primer
- Urban Decay Primer Potion– Eyelid primer
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard– Under eye concealer
Look 1: Capricorn
Capricorn: The Goat; December 21 – January 19
Traits: Straightforward, Ambitious, Practical
For Capricorn, I emphasized the “straightforward” element with a strong winged liner to convey a sense of “no nonsense”, but kept the eyes subtly smokey to fit with “practicality”. Since Capricorn is an Earth sign, I decided to use a grey-blue color palette with more mattes to keep it grounded and more neutral toned.
- Lid– Makeup Geek Foiled Shadow in Charmed
- Crease– Colourpop Super Shock Shadow in Mixed Tape
- Outer Corner– Tartelette Palette “Power Player”
- Blending Color– Tartelette Palette “Free Spirit”
- Lower Lashline– Makeup Geek Foiled Shadow in Center Stage
Look 2: Aquarius
Aquarius: The Water Bearer; January 19- February 18
Traits: Innovative, Curious, Revolutionary
For Aquarius, I found that there was a whimsical element to their personality due to their curiosity and imaginative way of thinking, so I created a very diffused and blended eye look— an almost halo effect. Aquarians are born right at the cusp of the New Year, thus they have a progressive view of the world, so I used plenty of unconventional colors and shimmers instead of neutrals and mattes. Since Aquarius is the Water Bearer, I kept with an aquatic palette filled with teals and turquoises.
- Lid– Makeup Geek Foiled Shadow in Pegasus
- Crease–Stila Eyes are the Window to the Body Palette “Emerald”
- Blending Color (above crease)–Stila Eyes are the Window to the Body Palette “Aquamarine”
- Inner Corner– Colourpop Super Shock Shadow in Chipper
- Lower Lashline– Makeup Geek Foiled Shadow in Fantasy
- Lower Waterline (inner rim of eye)–Makeup Forever Liner in 12L
- Lower Lashline (underneath lashes)– NYX Slim Pencil in Teal
- Tarte Bling It On Palette “Beaming”
Look 3: Pisces
Pisces: The (Two) Fish; February 18 – 20 March
Traits: Dreamy, Sensitive, Romantic
For Pisces, since there is a fantasy-like aura to their personality, I went with a fanciful and softly blended look with no harsh edges and very smooth color transitions created by a very meticulous gradient. I also used all shimmer shades to give that hazy, dream-like effect. To add even more of a “romantic” element, I went with glossy lips and a shimmery blush to put in additional touches of that glamour. Since Pisces is also a water sign, I kept the color palette on the cooler side of blue and lavenders.
- Lid– Urban Decay Ammo Palette “Shattered”
- Crease–Urban Decay Fun Palette “Freakshow” (discontinued but any dark purple shimmery shade will do)
- Blending Color (above crease)– Urban Decay Ammo Palette “Grifter”
- Inner Third– Makeup Geek Foiled Shadow in Daydreamer
- Outer Corner– Makeup Geek Foiled Shadow in Caitlin Rose
- Lower Lashline– Colourpop Super Shock Shadow in Bae
Blush & Highlight:
Alrighty, I hope you enjoyed this first installment of my Zodiac Lookbook Series. Leave me a comment telling me what your sign is and if you believe that you match your personality description. Or if you don’t believe in all the mumbo jumbo, just let me know what your favorite look is. Until next time—
All my love,