How is 2015 already around the corner?! Each year, I’m in more and more disbelief how time seems to just be flying by. Although I’m not quite ready to kiss 2014 goodbye, I am very much ready for a fresh start and to try new things. That said, this time last year I was doing that very thing and trying new products that ultimately have become some staple favorites in my everyday routine for 2014 that I’m here to share with you today. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
- First up, my favorite foundation! Revlon Colorstay is a cult favorite among beauty aficionados, including myself. The formula is a great matte finish that provides great full coverage and comes at a drugstore price tag. What more could you want? I’ve been using this foundation for years and it is great on its own, or a great base to mix with other foundations. I’ll be doing an everyday foundation routine soon, so stay tuned.
- 2014 marked the year I made the jump from MAC Fix+ to Urban Decay Deslick as my everyday setting spray. I was skeptical at first to try this as MAC has always worked for me, but since Urban Decay’s range has more specialized products, this one in particular works especially well to keep my skin mattified and foundation long wearing throughout the day whereas, the Fix+ is more of a finishing spray that leaves a dewy complexion to the skin and doesn’t do much in terms of longevity. (This is the travel size, as I am currently traveling.)
- 2014 was also the year I switched to using more natural face products in order to help clear up my skin. So far, so good. This Tarte Amazonian Clay Smooth Operator Finishing powder is essentially the au natural version of Makeup Forever’s HD powder, which I was using beforehand; it’s paraben, mineral oil, and gluten free. The finely milled powder goes on translucent to prevent that “cake-face” but also does not leave a chalky glow like most translucent powders, and fills in pores for a silky finish to the skin. It’s also long lasting both on the face and also as a product itself, as a little goes a long way.
- Highlighter has been my go-to product, especially this year, because of it’s versatility and ability to elevate any look instantly. In particular, MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle, another oldie but goodie, has been my favorite for its beautiful cool toned, rosy shimmer that adds life to the face.
- The Revlon Colorburst Moisture Stains have been one of my favorite lippie discoveries this year. The color selection is small, but with the few colors that they do offer there is plenty variety from reds to pinks to oranges. I have a handful of these lip stains, but the Barcelona Nights color I find is the most versatile from day to night. The blue-toned bright berry pink is perfect for a pop of color for a work look, or a bold complement to a smokey eye for after-hours. The formula of these is like a lip stain and gloss combination that leaves a highly pigmented color on the lips that is long wearing and a sheen to finish off the look.
- The Naked 2 palette, although not the newest release from Urban Decay, is another essential that I keep coming back to. The cool tones neutrals suit my skin tone well and the plethora of colors and shades allows for a variety of combinations and looks to be created.
- Nars Laguna bronzer is yet another classic staple that beauty bloggers rave about, but for good reason. The medium tan shade gives a beautiful sun-kissed glow to the face and can be built up to contour. Although I jumped around from blush color to blush color this year, Laguna has been my absolute go-to, as you can see from the well-loved hit pan.
- As I mentioned earlier, this year I made a goal to move toward more natural face makeup. I was turned on to this Korres Pomegranate Mattifying primer from a 100 point Sephora perk and it was perfect! The formula is paraben and sulfate free and leaves my oily skin mattified without drying it out. The more natural ingredients include pomegranate extract (a good source of Vitamins A, C & E), Willow bark extract (to balance the skin), Witch hazel (mattifies and tightens skin while removing excess oil and dirt without stripping), and Rice starch (absorbs excess surface oil, purifies, and softens skin). These ingredients have really helped clear my skin and is a perfect everyday foundation primer.
- This year, I really beefed up my brush collection in order to add more versatility to my makeup collection without buying new products. These Real Techniques brushes are great quality for little cost. The selection allows for many to be purchased without breaking the bank. The bristles are quite soft and dense where appropriate and distribute powder products evenly and concentrate color perfectly. Their unique shapes also allow for a variety of uses per brush and are great additions to any collection.
Hair, Skincare & Fragrance Favorites:
- 2014 was the year I decided to chop off my hair and try something new. My hair is particularly stubborn and with it being short now, subtle waves in my long hair have now become ugly kinks with my lack of locks to distribute the curl. In order to keep things in their place, this Healthy Sexy Soy Touchable hairspray has been a life saver. It is also another one of those products that last a long time in the hair and as a product that goes a long way. The argan oil in the hairspray leaves a nice shiny finish to the hair and also allows the product to have a strong hold without leaving that crunchy 90s product feeling.
- For skincare this year I jumped onto the facial oil bandwagon. The maracuja oil from Tarte left my face moisturized without leaving an oily residue to the skin. It absorbs nicely and has helped clear out some of my hyper-pigmentation. This mini set also came with the maracuja eye cream that soothed the under eye area and was gentle and perfect for beginners like me.
- Fragrance wise, in 2014 I attempted to graduate to a more sophisticated scent from my Bath & Body Works body sprays. I heard that Mary Kate & Ashley were launching their new Elizabeth and James line in the spring and found that the White Nirvana perfume suited me well. The floral notes are light and not overbearing and the musk allows for the fragrance to be worn both day and night.
- The Body Shop body butters are also a favorite among the beauty community. They work as a heavy duty moisturizer for the skin but are still light in formula and whipped to the touch. They come in a large range of scents which I would describe as simple and pure without being overwhelming or too extravagant. I particularly like the Pink Grapefruit scent for its simple fruity and citrus notes. Plus, these body butters are often on sale, like right now.
- For candles this year, I burnt the most during summer, surprisingly. Since I am home during the summer, though, I don’t have to worry about dorm regulations and so I can freely burn candles as I please. My favorite of the year has been Bath and Body Works’ Watermelon Lemonade. This light, fruity scent amplifies the essence of summer, especially when burnt with a breeze blowing through the open window on a summer night.
- 2014 was the year of dark chocolate for me. The older I get, the less sugary sweets I can handle. I’ve always gravitated towards dark chocolate but, especially this year I noticed that I can’t handle more than a piece or two of milk chocolate anymore. This Ghirardelli Intense Dark Cabernet Matinee bar is the perfect fix for a sweet tooth on a Netflix night in with its blackberry and wine notes.
I hope you enjoyed this post and found some fresh favorites of your own for the upcoming New Year. I’m excited to see what’s in store for 2015 beauty wise and I still can’t believe that it’s already that time! What have you loved this year? Let me know in the comments!
All my love,
6 Replies to “Favorites: 2014 Roundup”
Great list! I love the products you selected!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much!
LikeLiked by 1 person