Happy Fourth for those of you in America! I never really think much of July Fourth until it rolls around and reminds me that we’re in the dog days of summer. It’s full of BBQ, fireworks, and fun and I can’t wait to celebrate this year. Today we celebrate Independence Day so I thought that I’d put together a quick and festive look that anyone can do to show their patriotism. It’s super easy and fast, so you can sport Red, White, and Blue even last minute! Even if you aren’t American, this is also a fun look for summer, featuring a bold red lip and blue winged liner, this makeup is retro inspired with a bit of a modern twist. Alrighty, with that all said, let’s get started!
- To get things started, I’ve already prepped my base with the usual stuff, except I substituted my Revlon Colorstay with L’Oreal Infalliable. (Still testing it out, so keep posted!) See any of my other tutorials for a complete walk through. The products I used are: Smashbox Primer Water, Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, L’Oreal Infalliable Pro Matte Foundation, Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless, and Anastasia Contour Kit.
- To start the eyes, prime with any primer of your choice; I used my typical Urban Decay Primer Potion. Apply Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Branded with a clean finger as a cream base. If you do not have oily eyelids or trouble with creasing, you can eliminate the primer and just use the Color Tattoo, if you wish.
- With a fluffy shader brush, apply the shade Pink Diamond from the Stila Eyes are the Window to the Body Palette all over the lid.
- With a fluffy blending brush use a matte neutral brown color to go through the crease and blend out any harsh edges and slightly define the crease. This shadow is from my Sonia Kashuk Mattes palette, but any matte color slightly darker than your natural skin tone will do.
- Apply a generous amount of highlight to the inner corner of the eye using a small flat brush. I used the shade Moonstone from the same Stila palette which is a white, shimmery color for the white in Red, White, and Blue.
- Curl your lashes and apply mascara like usual. I used Maybelline The Rocket mascara. Apply concealer under the eyes and fill in the brows like you normally would. I used my typical Collection concealer and a new brow product, Pixi Natural Brow Duo, per itsjudytime’s recommendation.
- Now for the kicker, the bold blue winged liner. This shade is a beautiful dark (not quite navy) blue with fine silver and aqua sparkles, much like a firework. I used Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide On pencil in LSD with an angled brush to create a pretty thick liner, like an old school pin-up cat eye. I find that with an angled brush I have more control, and by using a pencil liner, you get a little bit of a softer look as opposed to gel liner. If you want to take a more modern approach, try thinning out the line at the inner corner and wing, or if you want a more subtle look you can get rid of the wing all together and just stick with the color on the lower lashline (see below).
- With the shade Sapphire from the Stila palette, take a fluffy shadow brush and smoke out the outer third of the lower lashline with this complementary dark blue to define the eye a bit and tie the eye together.
- Use a light hand and a fluffy stippling brush to apply a red toned blush. This is from my ELF Blush Palette in Dark.
- Finish it all off with a matte red lip! This is the deluxe birthday gift Sephora gives it’s Beauty Insiders but is available in full size. I used NARS Cruella Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, which is a nice retro scarlet shade with a neutral undertone, not too cool or warm. Don’t forget to apply finishing powder & setting spray!
Alright, you’re all finished! I hope that you try this look today and get in the spirit for the holiday. If you give it a go, be sure to tag me using my social media links below! Leave me a comment on what you’re doing today for fun!
All my love,