Hello my darlings! I apologize again for the inconsistent content lately. If I’m going to be perfectly honest, I have been in a huge funk ever since I got back from vacation. From getting back into the swing of work schedules, readjusting to time differences, working things out in my personal life, and just the general disdain for getting back to reality has left me spacey and unproductive.
After some soul searching and collecting of my thoughts though, I’m finally starting to ease back into things, starting with going through all of my blogger mail. I got this VoxBox from Influenster before I left for Hawaii, but didn’t get to play with these goodies until recently.
I already had owned the shade 40 Berry Boost from my 2016 Beauty Trends post on myvioletdelights.com (check out her newest guest post here) and I had won shade 10 Nude Flush from @marchbeautyword‘s #purselippiemonday contest on Instagram. Influenster sent me another shade 10 Nude Flush and also 35 Rebel Road. (I’m thinking of giving away the extra Nude Flush, leave me a comment if you think you’d like that!) I thought it’d be fun to swatch and review my whole collection in a post, so here we are. (General disclaimer.)
- Formula/Finish: The formula is a thick and moussey texture. It applies very opaque. Although described as a “matte” in the title, the finish is quite glossy and does not dry down at all. 2/5
- Ingredients: Nothing in here is a natural or nourishing ingredient that is beneficial to the lips. 1/5
- Full ingredient list- Dimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Diisostearyl Malate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Kaolin, HDI / Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Isostearyl Isostearate, Polyethylene, Vinyl Dimethicone / Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Nylon-12, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Alumina, Silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Linalool, Aluminum Hydroxide, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Limonene, Tocopherol, Tin Oxide, BHT, Parfum / Fragrance. May Contain: Mica, CI 45410 / Red 28 Lake, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 45380 / Red 22 Lake, CI 15850 / Red 7, CI 15985 / Yellow 6 Lake, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 75470 / Carmine.
- Scent: This smells like straight up perfume and it tastes like it too. I found some mild irritation while wearing these, like a slight uncomfortable feeling, but no breakout or reaction. It just didn’t sit right. 1/5
- Packaging: The packaging is actually a nice weighted plastic bottle and the typography on the label is quite well designed. The doe foot applicator is a long length making it easy to apply to the corners of the lips. 3/5
- Color Payoff/Pigmentation: The colors are quite true to the color in the tube and the are each quite pigmented. The colors are bright and the selection is nice. They truly are vivid hues. 4/5
- Longevity: This formula does not last long through eating and drinking and the glossy finish transfers easily. A slight stain is left on the lips after the finish wears off. 3/5
- Bright colors with high pigmentation and true to color payoff.
- A variety of shades in the color range.
- An opaque and smooth application.
- Cute and functional packaging.
- Affordable drugstore option.
- Not a true matte formula.
- Horrible ingredient content.
- Unpleasant smell and taste.
I feel like this is Maybelline’s attempt at making something to compete with NYX’s Soft Matte Lip Creams and they failed. Although the colors are bright and fun and they apply easily, I cannot get over the fact that the formula is nowhere near a matte like advertised and is a bit uncomfortable for me to wear. The NYX SMLCs are far superior, are in the same price range, have an even better color selection, are actually a matte formula, and the colors are just as bright. These Vivid Mattes can be blotted down to a matte in a pinch and can substitute for a NYX SMLC if need be, but they’re a poor substitute at best. The formula greatly needs to be improved by Maybelline in my opinon. Overall, I’m sorry to say I wouldn’t recommend these.
Alright, I hope that you guys found this review helpful and thanks for your patience while I get the blog up and running again. Until next time—
All my love,
These products were sent to me to review by Influenster and follows all FTC guidelines.