Hello again, my lovelies! It feels so good to be back in the swing of things. Today I have an exciting review because it feeds into one of my vices: lipstick.
This probably comes as no surprise, being a beauty blogger, but I’m pretty sure that thus far lipsticks have become my number one collected makeup item. They’re a cheap splurge in comparison to a palette or luxury facemask and there are so many colors, textures, finishes, and formulas to choose from that honestly you can’t really stop collecting. You’ll always find one that is slightly different enough to warrant buying it, even though it looks 95% identical to one that you already have. If lipsticks were Pokémon, I want to catch them all.
So, when I got the opportunity to test the new Makeup Forever Artist Rouge lipsticks from Influenster,(General disclaimer) I was over the moon. This new line is actually a collaboration between MUFE and the music group Icona Pop, which I thought was pretty cool.
Anyhow, here’s the part you came for, the review:
- Formula/Finish: There are two finishes in the collection. I got my hands on two Crèmes and one Matte. The Crèmes are smooth and of course creamy. The Matte is a nice flat color and not drying which is great. Comfort is one of the key claims MUFE makes about these lipsticks, and I would have to agree that they are quite comfortable to wear, no matter Crème or Matte. 5/5
- Ingredients: Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of synthetic chemicals and pigments in here, so be wary if you are looking for a natural or organic option. 2/5
- Scent: These are scentless, which is great if you are sensitive to fragrance. (*edit: upon further inspection, I found there is a slight fruity scent, so subtle I didn’t even notice at first.) 4/5
- Packaging: These lipsticks come in a sleek black metal tube with a silver ring around the bottom for the cap to rest on. The inner capsule is also silver and embossed with “Makeup Forever” and the cap is embossed with the MUFE lips logo as well. Although very modern looking, the metal packaging is quite heavy. It’s a bulky package and I actually have trouble fitting it into my lipstick holder. 3/5
- Color Payoff/Pigmentation: The three colors I got were: M401 (Hot Red), C210 (Petal Pink), C600 (White). The red and the mauvey nude shade are quite pigmented and provide opaque coverage with a single swipe, but the white color is a bit patchy which becomes more apparent the darker your skin is. 4/5
- Longevity: I found that the darker the color, the better the longevity. I haven’t used the white one much, but I think I’ll get a lot of use out of it once Halloween rolls around. However, the nude one has average longevity, about 3-4 hours, and needs reapplication after eating and drinking. The red is very impressive, though and has lasted me 5-6 hours without need for much reapplication, even after I went ham on a Chipotle burrito. 3-4/5
- A very comfortable wear, with very little flaking, patchiness, or dryness.
- A great range of colors, there are over 45 shades in the collection.
- The bullet of the lipstick has a sharp point which makes it easier to get into the corners.
- Free of Parabans, Sulfates, Phtalates
- The price is $22 per tube, which can be affordable, but is not cheap by any means. The price is good though, considering the weighty packaging, I thought there would be more of a markup.
- Prone to melting; I found this out the hard way.
- The ingredient list is full of more synthetics than I would have hoped for.
Conclusion: I think that if you are looking for a good quality lipstick at mid-range pricing, this is for you! Especially so if you are looking for bold and pigmented color! However, if you are looking for something light and sheer, these probably will be too much for you. Still, I highly recommend checking these out, especially M401 which is limited edition!!!
PS: If you are an Influenster member I have a question for you: I was looking at the #GETYOURBOLDON hashtag on Instagram, and saw that most of the other boxes received different colors than I did, so I’m not really sure what’s with that, but I’m not complaining. I love the colors I got, especially M401 which I found out is a limited edition color! I remember filling out a survey with foundation colors though, so maybe they were either matching my colors by skintone or they ran out of the foundation box? Let me know what your thoughts are.
These products were sent to me to review by Influenster and follows all FTC guidelines.