Currently California is in the midst of a monster heat wave which, unfortunately for me, means that temperatures have reached record highs of 100+ degrees…to say “I’m melting,” would be an understatement.
So as you can imagine, I’ve been trying anything and everything to keep my makeup from melting off my face. One of those said things is the Maybelline Fit Me Loose Powder that Influenster sent me to test. (General disclaimer) Here are my thoughts…
Maybelline Fit Me Loose Powder
- Formula/Finish – The formula is a lightweight, finely milled, colored, loose mineral powder. It gives a beautiful demi-matte finish to the skin. 4/5
- Ingredients – The three main ingredients are Talc, Dimethicone, and Silica — all of which have mild warnings from the ewg database. Overall, while the ingredients are minerals and have low toxicity to the body, they are still not very healthy for skin. I find that I can’t use this several product for several days in a row, otherwise it starts to break me out. 3/5
- Packaging – The packaging is a large square jar with a twist off cap, large enough to swirl a fluffy powder brush in, and sifter that easily dispenses product. While the sleek packaging is aesthetically pleasing and fits well with the rest of the Fit Me line, I find that it is quite bulky. The lid screws on tightly, but the nature of the packaging is still not the most secure and I could easily see the cap falling off in a makeup bag. It’s not the best for travel and is better suited to sit on your vanity. All of the plastic is not very eco-friendly either (even if it does mean that it holds a lot of product). 3.5/5
- Scent – This is odorless which makes it usable for those with fragrance sensitivities. 5/5
- Color – I’m using the color 20 Light Medium, which is at tad too light for my summer shade at the moment, but nothing a bit of bronzer won’t fix. I am disappointed, however, that this loose powder range is limited to 8 shades, especially since the Fit Me liquid foundation is known for having one of the largest selections of shades at the drugstore. I also find it confusing that the numbers on the powders don’t correspond directly to the numbers of the foundations in the line. 3.5/5
- Coverage – This is quite opaque and has medium-full buildable coverage, depending if it is worn on its own or over foundation as a setting powder. 4.5/5
- Longevity – The powder on its own or over a light application of makeup lasts 3-5 hours. I find it works best as a setting powder over a full base (skincare, primer, foundation, concealer) to add another layer of oil control and help keep the face in place for up to 8 hours! 4/5
- Since this is a drugstore product, it is very affordable at $8 a unit, especially after factoring the amount of product you get!
- There is .70 oz (20 g) of product per jar which is quite a lot when you compare it to their other loose powder (Maybelline Studio Fix Translucent which works great for baking!), or any other comparable product that averages at .20 oz.
- This is the perfect extra layer of coverage that also works to combat oil and extend makeup longevity overall!
- The bulky packaging isn’t suited well for travel and isn’t eco-friendly.
- The ingredients are not beneficial to the skin.
- The formula is not suited for dry skin and works better for combo/oily.
Product claims from the back label (& how well they hold up):
- Mineral based formula helps control shine & smooth skin’s texture (check ✅)
- Lightweight (check ✅) translucent (this product is definitely opaque…) coverage
- Fresh, natural look (this gives a flawless look, not really natural)
- Can be used alone of over foundation (check ✅)
Overall, I find that the Maybelline Fit Me Loose powder is great for those times when you need a bit of extra coverage and help locking in your makeup, like special events or long summer days! I think it is a great addition to my beauty regimen, but doesn’t replace similar products in my collection that I already use. If you’re looking for an affordable powder, suited for oily to combo skin, to extend the wear time of your foundation then this is the powder for you! 3.5/5
What’s your favorite way to keep your summer makeup on your face? Let me know in a comment! Until then —
All my love,
Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || YouTube || Pinterest || Etsy || Bloglovin’ || Google+
These products were sent to me to review by Influenster. All opinions are my own and this post follows all FTC guidelines.
One Reply to “Review: Maybelline Fit Me Loose Powder”